Benefits of coconut oil for hair
Coconut oil is a natural product that is used to care for hair and overly sensitive skin. The product has moisturizing and nourishing properties. Proper and systematic use of coconut oil helps to restore the structure of the hair, restores their softness and natural shine.
Types of coconut oil
By nature, coconut oil is a processed product. The oil itself does not grow on a tree, it is extracted from a coconut. Therefore, the only natural coconut oil is found inside a fresh coconut just picked from the tree.
Depending on the technical processing of the product, coconut oil can be of different types.
Refined (refined coconut oil). It is obtained by pressing the pulp of the nut. Further, by means of hot pressing, oil is extracted from it. To obtain pure raw materials, special bleaching clay is used. Sodium hydroxide is added to increase shelf life.
Unrefined (unrefined coconut oil). It is obtained by drying fresh coconut meat and then cold pressing. After that, coconut oil is squeezed out of the pulp of the nut and boiled with the addition of enzymes. This helps to preserve the beneficial properties of the product without the addition of chemical additives.
Coconut oil paste (coconut butter). This type is a mashed coconut pulp with a high fat content. However, most often it is used for the preparation of culinary delights, and not as a cosmetic product.
As a rule, the processed product can be purchased in specialized stores of organic or home cosmetics, pharmacies, online stores or hypermarkets.
It is more profitable to buy a product in countries where coconuts grow, in tropical and subtropical areas. Some of the most popular coconut oil producers are Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, India and Sri Lanka. Buying coconut oil in these countries is much more profitable than in domestic stores.
It is recommended to buy unrefined coconut oil, which is marked “virgin” or “virgin oil”. It is in such cases that you can achieve the maximum benefit for the hair.
The average cost of coconut oil in a pharmacy is from 200 to 1500 rubles. The price category depends on the manufacturer, quality and volume. You should not buy a cheap product, as it most likely does not include the natural oily product from coconut. When choosing a product, carefully study the label, country of origin and other important information.
Coconut oil is half lauric acid, which is considered a natural antiseptic. Hyaluronic acid, which is part of the chemical composition of the product, gives it moisturizing properties. Also includes vitamins A and E, capric, palmitic, linolenic, stearic, arachidonic acids. Saturated fatty acid triglycerides help coconut oil to safely penetrate deep into the scalp and hair structure.
Benefits of coconut oil for hair:
- Nourishes effectively. The tool is considered a natural mask for all types of hair, which eliminates excessive dryness of curls and restores split ends;
- Moisturizes. Coconut oil helps to cope with various damages, for example, after dyeing, perms, regular use of a hair dryer, curling irons, etc. It also accelerates hair growth, fights baldness, makes hair smooth and silky;
- Disinfects. Coconut has always been considered a natural antiseptic. It helps to get rid of dandruff, seborrhea and itching;
- Excellent protection. Ultraviolet rays of the sun, sudden changes in temperature and other external factors negatively affect the structure and general condition of the hair. Even cosmetologists recommend taking a jar of coconut oil with you on vacation. With it, you will not only protect your hair, face and body from burns, but also prevent your skin and hairline from drying out.
Regular use of coconut oil creates a protective layer on the scalp that prevents the fibers from swelling.
Ways to use coconut oil for hair
To achieve the desired result, it is very important to know how to apply coconut oil correctly. The product can be used both in pure form and in combination with other esters or natural ingredients. Coconut oil is applied evenly along the entire length of the hair, retreating from the roots about 3-5 centimeters.
You can distribute the product with your hands or with a comb-comb, but with rare teeth. As a rule, a coconut oil hair mask is kept for 30 minutes. However, some girls, for greater absorption of nutrients, leave the oil on their hair all night.
General recommendations for using coconut oil:
- Owners of oily hair should reduce the duration of exposure to the mask – no more than 20 minutes;
- When applying the product, the head should be wrapped with cling film or warmed up with a hairdryer. This is necessary so that the oil penetrates the hair structure as deeply as possible;
- First, the mask is washed off with warm water, only after that shampoo is used.
The beneficial properties of coconut oil are best manifested in combination with burdock, olive, peach and almond oils.
In its purest form
Using pure coconut oil is easy. The product can be added to your shampoo or balm. Only refined oil is used to strengthen weakened or damaged hair follicles. Regular use of the product in its pure form will strengthen the hair, make it more elastic.
How to use pure coconut oil for hair:
- Heat the product in a water bath to 55-60 degrees (use a microwave oven is contraindicated);
- Dial the product with your fingertips;
- Rub in circular motions into the hair roots for 15-20 minutes;
- Spread coconut oil evenly through hair, avoiding dry areas;
- Pay special attention to split and brittle ends;
- Wrap your head with cling film, and then wrap it with something warm;
- The first treatment procedure can last for 2-3 hours. Each time the duration of the procedure can be reduced;
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with warm water and then wash as usual.
The strands should be unwashed, but not too greasy. It is ideal to apply a similar hair mask for 2-3 days after shampooing.
Coconut oil interacts beneficially with all components, especially with other natural oils. For the preparation of hair masks, an unrefined product is best suited. You can enhance the effect of the mask if you add a few …