Ways to whiten your teeth at home without harming the enamel
A snow-white smile is the dream of every person. To achieve this effect, you need to monitor your teeth and take care of them with special attention. Daily cleaning of tooth enamel and the rejection of bad habits (alcohol, coffee drinking) are the main assistants in achieving a “Hollywood” smile.
When should you whiten your teeth?
A person should brush their teeth daily and rinse their mouth after eating. The color of his tooth enamel depends on several factors:
- Regular personal hygiene;
- Food and water consumed;
- genetic inheritance.
Do not forget that coffee, cigarettes and food coloring can stain tooth enamel.
If after daily brushing of teeth, they do not become whiter, a person can use the whitening procedure. Indications for teeth whitening at home without harm are:
- Brushing your teeth 2 times a day does not help get rid of the yellowness of tooth enamel;
- The teeth were damaged, as a result of which they lost their white color;
- Toothpaste does not cope with the accumulated plaque;
- The use of drugs, especially antibiotics;
- Excess fluoride in the body;
- Smoking and abuse of sweet products.
Teeth whitening is a great solution for a person who wants a beautiful smile. But not everyone is allowed to carry out such a procedure. Contraindications include:
- High tooth sensitivity;
- Pregnant and lactating mothers are not recommended to carry out the procedure for whitening tooth enamel;
- Children under 16 years of age, the procedure is contraindicated;
- Persons who have many open carious cavities (fillings on the front teeth, crowns) are not subjected to bleaching.
The last category of patients is not recommended to do teeth cleaning at home due to the fact that after bleaching the contrast of colors of natural teeth and crowns will be noticeable. The consequence may be the need for a complete replacement of fillings and crowns. If a person decides on prosthetics, then there are no risks and it would be advisable to first whiten the teeth.
Can you whiten your teeth at home?
There are two types of teeth whitening: professional in the dentist’s office and at home. The latter is less harmful to tooth enamel.
At home, not such strong chemicals are used as in the dentist’s offices. The effective home whitening procedure lasts 5-10 days.
At home, teeth can be whitened with folk remedies, including products that are available in almost any home.
How to whiten teeth at home with folk remedies?
Some folk remedies allow you to temporarily whiten your teeth. Recipes from folk remedies are relevant when a visit to the dentist is difficult. Teeth whitening at home
- apple cider vinegar;
- hydrogen peroxide;
- Tea tree oil.
Let’s take a closer look at a few effective homemade recipes for teeth whitening.
Apple cider vinegar is suitable for various purposes at home. One of them is teeth whitening. The taste of this method is unpleasant, but the effectiveness is palpable.
How to use apple cider vinegar for teeth whitening:
- Pour the vinegar into a small glass;
- Take one sip in your mouth and rinse it without swallowing;
- Spit and rinse your mouth with warm water.
Recommendations: It is advisable to use this method once a week. The taste of vinegar is unpleasant, but the final results will help justify such a disadvantage.
Rubbing strawberries is a great way to whiten your teeth at home without harm, effectively and quickly.
Recipe for teeth whitening with strawberries:
- Take a berry and cut it into two parts;
- Rub strawberries into the surface of the teeth and leave for 5-10 minutes;
- Then brush your teeth with regular toothpaste.
The number of repetitions of the procedure is twice a week.
orange peel and bay leaf
The combination of bay leaf and orange peel also helps whiten teeth. The duration of the procedure is several minutes.
How to use bay leaf in combination with orange peel:
- The fruit must be peeled;
- Grind a few pieces of peel;
- Rub them into the tooth enamel;
- Then grind the bay leaf until it turns into a powder and apply on the teeth;
- Leave for five minutes;
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
Repeat the procedure in a week. The effect is that the acid in the orange peel kills bacteria, resulting in stains, and the bay leaf absorbs those stains.
How to whiten teeth quickly?
You can quickly whiten your teeth at home with:
- baking soda;
- Hydrogen peroxide;
The components listed above are used as independent tools. But be careful and keep the proportions so as not to harm the tooth enamel. Baking soda and ash are applied to the teeth with a toothbrush. Peroxide simply rinses the mouth several times a day.
Consider a few folk recipes for teeth whitening at home quickly.
Sodium bicarbonate is a popular bleaching agent. Whitening is done while brushing your teeth with a toothbrush. It must first be lowered into a concentrated liquid, which includes water and baking soda.
Tip: baking soda can be mixed with toothpaste. Then its taste will be less noticeable.
Based on hydrogen peroxide, gels have been created that are used by dentists for professional teeth cleaning.
The procedure for whitening teeth with hydrogen peroxide is simple:
- After brushing your teeth (morning and evening), rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide 2-3 times;
- Spit out the contents in the mouth;
- Rinse with clean warm water.
An alternative is to use a small-diameter cotton swab that is pre-wetted with liquid. With it, the upper and lower rows of teeth are wiped. After the procedure, rinse your mouth with warm water in the same way.
The disadvantage of this remedy is that unpleasant sensations in the form of tingling or burning of the oral region may occur in the mouth. But the result can be seen quickly – in a week or two the teeth will become much whiter. However, the density of tooth enamel may decrease, which will negatively affect the condition of the teeth in general.
Wood ash contains potassium hydroxide, a compound that is great for whitening teeth. How to use: dip the brush in wood ash and start brushing your teeth. Wood ash can be premixed with toothpaste.
The effectiveness of the mixture lies in the microscopic crystals that clean the accumulated plaque on the surface of the enamel. Wood ash is not recommended for frequent use due to…