A serum is one hair care product that does it all for your hair—detangling, conditioning, overnight repair, and thermal protection. Essentially, it’s a leave-in product that instantly tames, hydrates and nourishes your hair, leaving it manageable. Hair serums fix the shine and form a protective layer around the hair, protecting it from heat and humidity. Plus, the essential oils and smoothing ceramides in the serums help tame frizz and leave your hair looking smooth and shiny! Several serums also target hair ailments such as hair loss and thinning hair, bringing your locks back to health!
Since there are many serums on the market today, finding the right one for your hair type can be a challenge. To make your day easy, we reviewed and compiled a list of serums that we found worthwhile. Check out our list of the top 10 hair serums for women below and take your pick!
What are the benefits of using hair serum?
Benefits of using hair serum:
- They help tame static hair and make your hair more manageable.
- Serums also help smooth hair and polish strands.
- They help your hair look smooth.
- Hair serums also leave your hair shiny.
- Some specially formulated serums can help straighten your hair.
- Serums specially formulated for curly hair add an extra dose of moisture to the curls, creating bouncier curls.
- Regular use of serums can reverse damage to hair from chemical treatments such as straightening, perming or coloring.
- They coat your hair strands and help reduce mechanical stress from repeated styling.
- They protect your hair from heat damage caused by blow-drying or styling products.
- Serums equipped with UV filters protect your hair from sun exposure and environmental aggressions.
Types of hair serums
Here are a few hair serums readily available on the market:
Oil based hair serum
Oil-based serums contain essential oils and carrier oils such as almond oil, argan oil, and coconut oil. They are very concentrated and rich as they have no water content. They are best suited for very dry and untamed hair.
Serum for defining curls
Curling serums are very light, as thick hair can weigh down your curls. They helped leave your hair bouncy and define your natural curls.
Spray – hair serum
Spray serums are the best option for on-the-go application. They give you a salon-like hair finish anytime, anywhere. Thus, they are ideal for use during the holidays.
Water based hair serum
If you have very thin hair, then a water-based serum is the best option for you. It does not weigh down your hair and yet leaves it luscious and smooth.
Serums for hair problems
Many serums target specific hair problems such as hair loss, low viscosity, effervescence, etc. These serums contain nourishing and anti-aging ingredients such as avocado oil, vitamin E, argan oil, coconut oil, and essential extracts.
Hair serums based on silicone
If you have very weak and brittle curls, silicone-based serums instantly smooth your hair and give it shine.
How to use hair serum?
Here is a step by step guide to apply the hair serum.
- Make sure your hair is damp or clean for best results.
- Take 1 to 2 drops of hair serum in your hand and rub it between your palms for about five seconds.
- Now divide your hair into sections and work the hair serum from the middle to the end of each section. Try to distribute the product as evenly as possible.
- Also, stay away from the roots as applying serum to the roots can make your hair greasy.
- Once you’re done, use a wide-toothed comb to comb your hair from mid-lengths to ends to help distribute the serum evenly.
- Style hair as needed and reapply serum any time of the day if needed.
Hair serums come in many shapes and sizes and address a variety of hair problems. The following guide will help you choose the right serum for your hair.
What should I consider before buying a hair serum?
When buying a hair serum, keep these pointers in mind. This can help you in choosing the right product for your hair.
Hair serums are used to solve various hair problems. On the market, you will get frizz control, volumizing and thermal protection serums. Some products add shine to hair, reduce dryness, or repair damaged hair.
Check the Ingredients
For frizz control, look for a dimethicone serum or any other silicone-based hair serum. If you are looking for a hair repair serum, look for one that is high in protein. If you’re looking for a serum to add shine to your hair, buy one that contains natural oils like argan oil or macadamia oil.
Adding serum to your regular hair care routine keeps your curls manageable, nourished and hydrated. Be sure to purchase a serum that suits your hair type, length and viscosity to get the best results from your serum. Choose one of these best hair serums and give your locks new life.
10 Best Hair Serums
Best Natural Hair Serum: Biotique Mountain
This lightweight, revitalizing hair serum from Biotique is specially formulated to enhance hair growth while taming frizz and static. The natural formula contains plant extracts that promote new hair growth, soothe irritation, prevent dryness and strengthen hair strands. In addition, a blend of Mountain Ebony, Long Pepper and Neem serves as a natural astringent to rejuvenate the scalp.
Key Ingredients: Kachnarstem, Pudina oil, Kusumbhyoil, Neem bark, Pippalifrut and Muletistem.
- Does not contain parabens
- Ease of use
- Refreshing aroma
- May dry out hair
Best for Professional Grooming : Streax Professional Vitariche Gloss Hair Serum
Say goodbye to super rough and hard to manage hair with this serum from Streax Professional. This serum instantly adds shine to hair. Macadamia oil and vitamin E in the serum make it multitasking. It gives shine, increases vitality, strengthens and…